GROWING AND DIVERSIFYING WASHINGTON’S AEROSPACE CLUSTER
We will build upon our strengths, allowing our existing companies to thrive, attracting new investments, and diversifying the aerospace industry in Washington.
- Develop and execute a targeted marketing campaign to build on the 777X siting decision by identifying and recruiting international companies to Washington state and assisting existing companies secure work in the Boeing supply chain. Read about our progress.(Link: “Building the Supply Chain” success story)
- Identify and recruit international maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) companies to Washington.
Cultivating a Deep and Talented Aerospace Workforce
We will develop a robust pipeline of aerospace workers, from inspiring our youngest children to pursue educational pathways that enable aerospace careers, to producing skilled laborers to work on the factory floors, to educating high quality engineers, designers, and researchers.
- Develop a curriculum and facilities to support a carbon fiber wing training program for the 777X at the Washington Aerospace Technology & Research Center.
- Develop an operations plan and organizational structure for the Washington Manufacturing Advanced Training Institute (WMATI) in Renton.
- Support the design and establishment of the Institute of Advanced Manufacturing & Aerospace at Washington State University in Everett.
- Ensure that additional investments in community and technology college aerospace training programs are directed to programs most in need by the industry.
Fostering a Culture of Aerospace Innovation
We will build upon our wealth of existing resources to facilitate the discovery of new technologies and bring them to market, so that we are not only building the best airplanes in the world today, but the manned and unmanned air and space vehicles that may come next.
- Secure designation and funding for a center for advanced materials innovation.
- Secure re-designation of the UW’s FAA Center of Excellence for Advanced Materials in Transportation Aircraft Structures.
STRENGTHENING WASHINGTON’S AEROSPACE SUPPORT CHAIN
We will organize ourselves and work together across the state to support the Washington aerospace industry, while making sure that we are providing the infrastructure, tax policies and regulatory framework that provide for a high quality of life for all of Washington’s residents.
- Continue to push the Washington State Legislature to pass a significant funding package for key transportation improvements.
- Pursue expansion of the aerospace product development business and occupation tax credit currently available to companies engaged in commercial airplane activities to all sectors of the aerospace industry.